If you need to install Node.js from source, you should consult the official documentation.
Here is a brief summary of the steps:
- Install the necessary build dependencies, C++ compiler, and build toolchain for your system.
- Install Python.
- Download the source code.
- Test your compiled version with
- Install it with
- Check the version with
Why Install from Source?
- Pro: You can install any version of Node.js.
- Pro: You have full control.
- Con: You need to install a compiler and build tools before you can even start.
- Con: Most complicated and slowest way to install Node.js.
Vultr does not recommend installing Node.js from source.