Pritunl is an easy-to-use, open-source VPN server with an intuitive web management interface. Vultr's One-Click Pritunl server is the easiest way to set up a VPN server using OpenVPN protocol.
When you follow this tutorial, Pritunl will install a Let's Encrypt SSL certificate, which requires a fully-qualified domain name (FQDN) to assign the SSL Certificate. Make sure you have a domain name and can assign an IP address with your DNS provider.
Step 1 - Register Domain Name
For this tutorial, we use these examples:
- Example IP: 192.0.2.123
- Example FQDN: pritunl.example.com
Once your Pritunl server has deployed, you'll see the server IP address in your customer portal.
Copy the IP address and assign it to a fully-qualified domain name (FQDN) at your DNS provider.
Step 2 - Set up Server SSL Certificate
- Navigate to your server by IP address (example: 192.0.2.123) with your web browser.
- You'll be greeted with a certificate warning.
- In Chrome-based browsers, ignore this warning by clicking "Advanced" and "Proceed to...".
- If using a different browser, consult your browser documentation to proceed.
Sign in with username pritunl and the password located on your server instance dashboard.
Note: You can retrieve a lost password by connecting to the server instance as root and executing:
# pritunl default-password
- On the Initial Setup screen, choose a new strong password for your pritunl account. Note that this will not update the password shown on the instance dashboard, so be sure to record it securely.
- Enter the FQDN for your server in the Let's Encrypt Domain field.
- Leave the other fields at default.
- Click Save.
You'll receive a confirmation message when the setup completes after a few seconds.
- Logout and close your browser tab.
- Open a new browser tab and navigate to your FQDN.
- Login as pritunl with your new password.
- Verify your session is secure, and the certificate is valid.
Step 3 - Set up Users, Organization, and Server.
- Click Users
- Click Add Organization
- Enter your organization name in the pop-up window.
- Click Add.
- Click Add User.
- Enter a user name and a numeric PIN, at least six digits long.
- Click Add.
Click Servers, the Add Server.
- Enter your server name, then click Add.
- Leave the port, protocol, DNS, and Virtual Network set to default. They will be different than the example shown below.
- Click the blue Attach Organization button in the upper-right.
- The organization and server name are preselected.
- Click Attach.
- Click the green Start Server button.
The server is now running.
Step 4 - Setup Client VPN
- Click Users in the top menu bar.
- Click the download arrow for the user profile.
- Save and extract the .tar file containing the OpenVPN profile.
- We recommend 7-Zip if you do not have a program to extract .tar files.
- Download and install the OpenVPN client.
- Double click the .ovpn file you extracted from the .tar file.
- The OpenVPN Client launch and ask if you want to import the OpenVPN profile.
- Click OK to import the profile.
- Enter your username, then click Add.
- Click the switch to connect to the VPN.
- Enter your six-digit numeric PIN in the password prompt.
- Click OK to connect to the VPN.
- Verify your local workstation's IP address is the same as your Pritunl server instance.
Once your server is functioning correctly for a single user, you can add additional users to the same server and organization.
Want to contribute?
You could earn up to $300 by adding new articles